As a major feature in your home’s overall look and feel, you want to ensure you are choosing a flooring solution that best fits your lifestyle, including your pets! To aide you on your quest to find the perfect pet-friendly floor, here’s a list of good and bad flooring solutions to choose from:
Great Flooring Options for Pets
- Bamboo: Due to its extreme durability, bamboo flooring is a great flooring option for pet lovers of any kind. Plus, bamboo flooring is more resistant to water and stain damage than hardwood options, so accidents and spills won’t stain the floor, which means less work for you!
- Cork: Cork flooring is beneficial to the health of all home occupants, furry ones included. Thanks to the antimicrobial properties of cork, this flooring reduces the growth of mold and other allergens. Cork is scratch resistant, but not stain resistant, so accidents and spills should still be cleaned up as soon as possible. Cork flooring also has great acoustic qualities, so movements and sounds are minimized, keeping your home’s noise level to a minimum
- Stone Tile: Stone tile flooring is virtually scratch resistant, making it an excellent choice for homes with lots of animals. While it isn’t impossible for stone flooring to be scratched, the scratches on stone are not as visible as on other flooring options—like hardwood
- Vinyl: Vinyl flooring is another good option for pet owners. It’s scratch and stain resistant, and similar to cork, it is antimicrobial and quiet to walk on
Flooring Options to Avoid for Pets
- Hardwood: However beautiful hardwood may be, pet urine can stain hardwood floors, causing odors to linger and dark spots to form—even if cleaned up correctly. Another potential issue for pet owners with hardwood flooring is scratches. When it comes to hardwood, keeping your pet’s nails trimmed is necessary to avoid scratches, which can sometimes be a difficult task for busy pet owners
- Carpet: Carpet is the worst flooring option for pet owners. Due to its absorbent nature, carpet can be easily stained and is very difficult to clean. If carpet is your only option, choose carpeting that designed specifically for pets—like STAINMASTER® PetProtect® carpeting—or choose carpeting that is short and will be easy to remove dander or hair
Carpetland USA is your go-to for pet-friendly flooring solutions! Stop by one of our locations to talk to a sales representative and let us help you find the perfect flooring solution for every person in your home, even the four-legged ones!